Remembering...

Yesterday was my great grandmother, Evelyn's, service.  It was beautiful and full of warm memories as well as a few reminiscent tears. On our way home from our celebratory reception --at what was my great grandmother's place of choice for lunch-- we found it only appropriate to stop by the Gertrude School on our way home.

The Gertrude School was established in the 1800's and is now home to an art gallery but back in it's prime it held a lot of memories for the elders of our family.   Not only was it the school my great grandmother attended as an adolescent, it was the place where she would meet and begin her amazing life's journey with my great grandfather Percy.  They would be married for 66 years at the time of his passing and they would celebrate every moment.  They were ranchers, dancers, and care givers to anyone in need.  They were amazing people with such rich tales of life.  It was such a small, but delightful treat to wander the empty grounds imagining a young Percy and Evelyn's youthful presence here.

It was a bit hard not to feel jealous of each old board and the stories they must hold.  To not envy the ancient oak limbs and the memories that continue to thrive within their inner rings.

In the end, I found it uplifting to imagining myself dancing around the school house as they must have so many years ago and soothing to know their legacy would continue to hold fast on this small piece of earth.

I'd like to think that they are together now... dancing in each other's arms... once again.

Love & Lollies...

lets tweetlike on facebookfollow on bloglovin

14 comments:

1. What a wonderful way to remember her. Hugs x

ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post, Jessa. Lots of e-hugs :)

ReplyDelete
  3. Another great post! Your outfit is beautiful! I love that hat.

4. JessaofCakedVintageAugust 31, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Thank you Angie. x

5. JessaofCakedVintageAugust 31, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Thank you Claire. x

6. JessaofCakedVintageAugust 31, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Thank you so much. The hat is my most recent treasure. =D

ReplyDelete
  7. My heart goes out to you and your family.

8. JessaofCakedVintageAugust 31, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Thank you Amber. xo

ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful post Jessa! I never knew any of my great grandparents and your so lucky to know such wonderful things about them. In my culture and beliefs, death is just another journey and a part of the path to rebirth. I'm sure your grandparents are together :) My condolences...and hugs!

Xo,
    Eeka

P.S.
    you look fab!

ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for keep being a sweet follower for my blog. By the way! It is almost my first year anniversary for my blog and planning to make my own video. I am willing to answer any questions as possible from my readers. If you have any questions about me, my style, or anything. Feel free to ask! If you do have questions for me, please leave a comment and ask there, thank you so much for your time and def coming to your blog again!

little K.

ReplyDelete
  11. i'm sure they're together and dancing already! :)

Roma
    romaislove.blogspot.com
    facebook.com/popjunklove

ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, this post just left the biggest lump in the back of my throat. So bittersweet.
    Once again I'm so sorry for your loss, but I too can't help but feel a sense of love and life just by reading along and seeing these pictures. I'm sure they're dancing, too :)
    And on a really random note, that looks like the school from Little House on the Prairie and for that I'm so jealous that I can't get beautiful pictures near it like you! You look so so lovely. That hat is so pretty. I'm sure you've made so many people in your family so proud. You have such a good heart and it shows in these posts you write, that I enjoy so much. Have a blessed rest of your week!

13. JessaofCakedVintageSeptember 4, 2012 at 5:22 PM

I think so too Roma! xo

14. JessaofCakedVintageSeptember 4, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Thanks Roni for always knowing just what to say to make me smile ear to ear! If you ever do make it out to our little side of the land I will be sure to take you there! xo

ReplyDelete

♥ Thanks for commenting! I truly appreciate each comment I receive and nothing brightens my day more than reading your thoughts!

xx Jessa